Option to turn off file preview in navigation mode

deanishe

In Alfred's filesystem navigation mode, the entire right half of the file list is given over to a preview, with filenames being truncated to make room for it.

In common situations, the preview adds nothing useful, while the truncation takes a whole lot of important data away:

navigation-preview.png.6cb3c4d2096d0690f8a876ed0379a8f6.png

In such situations, it's both easier and faster to scroll through the contents in Finder, where I can see the complete filenames, instead of going through them one-by-one in Alfred so I can see the full name at the bottom of Alfred's window.

Being able to turn off the preview, so I could see the filepath, would fix that. If I want to see a preview, I can hit .

1 hour ago, deanishe said:

In such situations, it's both easier and faster to scroll through the contents in Finder, where I can see the complete filenames, instead of going through them one-by-one in Alfred so I can see the full name at the bottom of Alfred's window.

That actually adds up to the option "File type icons..." which increased the performance on external drives. Having an additional option to fully deactivate them

would awesome. This in addition what i just posted would make it easier to see and then access what you want.

@deanishe agreed, this preview should be able to be turned off.

Also, the fuzzy matching option for fs navigation isn't working as well as it should do. When @FroZen_X posted the request the other day, I took a look at the matching code... really, with fuzzy enabled, you should just be able to type e.g. fixum and it filter to just that item (instead of *fixum).

16 hours ago, FroZen_X said:

This in addition what i just posted would make it easier to see and then access what you want.

That was what prompted me to post this. I've always found filesystem navigation in Alfred to be relatively clunky compared to everything else.

As noted, it can be faster to use Finder and the trackpad to navigate. You can't say that about any other part of Alfred.

I believe that your fuzzy search suggestion + this one would put Alfred ahead.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool. It works! Thanks @Tsunami

@Vero Done :) 

Now it's closer to Launchbar primiary/pristine look and feel which i really like. So the next step is to find possibility to delete files directly from navigation mode. Like in Launchbar - by cmd + delete shortcut.

Edited by Moody

@Moody You can find out how to perform file actions here:

https://www.alfredapp.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/file-actions-from-alfred-or-finder/

By default, this is the order of the file actions so Delete is Cmd + 9, but you can 1. remove file actions that aren't relevant for you, and 2. allow the sort order to change based on the file actions you used the most, so if you mostly use Delete, it'll come to the top of the list. 

file-actions-panel.png

Cheers,
Vero

On 2/3/2018 at 11:20 AM, Andrew said:

Also, the fuzzy matching option for fs navigation isn't working as well as it should do. When @FroZen_X posted the request the other day, I took a look at the matching code... really, with fuzzy enabled, you should just be able to type e.g. fixum and it filter to just that item (instead of *fixum).

Hey @Andrew any timeframe when we will get to see a fix for this :/ im currently in a heavy use of this as I'm working on a lot of documentation where it gets a bit annoying

i must say. Is it a harder thing to fix? 

@FroZen_X no timeframe yet, as this change will be wrapped up with some other similar ones to consolidate some code.

Remember that you can wildcard in that view too. The original behaviour in the navigation was based more on shell which is why it deviates. This is now a bit outdated as Alfred has grown which is why it's going to get an overhaul to bring it more in line.

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

@FroZen_X no timeframe yet, as this change will be wrapped up with some other similar ones to consolidate some code.

Remember that you can wildcard in that view too. The original behaviour in the navigation was based more on shell which is why it deviates. This is now a bit outdated as Alfred has grown which is why it's going to get an overhaul to bring it more in line.

I know about the wildcard :) thanks for the info. Ill probably do a quick hack via karabiner to have a workaround for now.