Terminal Action repeats when opening new tabs

benptooey

When using a Terminal Action in a workflow, the Terminal app is started and the command run successfully. If, however, a new tab is started with cmd-T or through the Terminal "Shell" menu, the command that Alfred originally sent to Terminal is run again in the new tab.

Cheers,

-Ben

When using a Terminal Action in a workflow, the Terminal app is started and the command run successfully. If, however, a new tab is started with cmd-T or through the Terminal "Shell" menu, the command that Alfred originally sent to Terminal is run again in the new tab.

Cheers,

-Ben

Whoa, this is definitely interesting and may very well be a bug in Terminal.app itself! I'll see what I can do with the AppleScript to work around this issue :)

• 1 year later...

Saw this and had to comment. See this screenshot of Terminal's preferences.

ztvedw.png

OS X's default is that New tabs open with: Same Settings. This means that if, for example, you began a terminal session by SSH'ing into another machine, a new tab will also attempt to SSH into that machine. To alleviate this behavior, switch it to Default Settings.

Saw this and had to comment. See this screenshot of Terminal's preferences.

OS X's default is that New tabs open with: Same Settings. This means that if, for example, you began a terminal session by SSH'ing into another machine, a new tab will also attempt to SSH into that machine. To alleviate this behavior, switch it to Default Settings.

Nicely spotted, cheers!

At the risk of hijacking this thread, would you know if it's possible to open a new Terminal tab from directly from Alfred? The Run Terminal Command action always opens a new terminal windows. I currently have a hacked-together AppleScript workaround that involves delays but I'd prefer an official solution if it's possible.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, would you know if it's possible to open a new Terminal tab from directly from Alfred? The Run Terminal Command action always opens a new terminal windows. I currently have a hacked-together AppleScript workaround that involves delays but I'd prefer an official solution if it's possible.

You can customise Alfred's terminal AppleScript or even create new workflow actions to perform specific actions such as this... it might be worth asking in the workflow help sub-forum instead of the bugs/investigating sub-forum as I'm sure some other users are already doing this :)

By default, Alfred takes the most robust / predictable approach by opening a brand new window each time as that way, you can guarantee the state of the window rather than running a command in an unpredictable window.