Search and add bookmarks to Raindrop.io

Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2024 at 9:48 PM, andreas.w said:

It's hard to tell what might be the reason for this without more context, but you could go to the the Raindrop workflow and check if it says "ra" where I marked that with red in the screenshow below. That is where the code word that by default is set to "ra" is configured, and you could change it to anything by double clicking that box and change the setting for it there. 

One thing you could do, and which is what I do myself, is to set up keyboard shortcuts for searching a bookmark or adding a bookmark, which you can also see in the screenshow below on the left side. Double click those boxes to set your own shortcuts if that seems like a good solution for you.

Hello @andreas.w, thank you for a great tool.

However I have the same problem as @mrwynn.

Keyword "r" to search works great in Alfred.

But keyword "ra" first of all just appears shortly and then disappears from Alfred. If I press space after "ra" it displays my contacts.

I assigned a hotkey as you suggested, and then the option stays on screen in Alfreds list but when i pick it under its workflow name it shows "Loading..." and then nothing gets added to Raindrop. After a second or two it disappears.

I assigned keyword "raa" to test further and then it behaves exactly like with the hotkey.

Either way it is not possible to add anything to Raindrop with this workflow.

I am using Alfred 5.5 and Search Raindrop.io 2.0.11. I have Raindrop 5.6.32 installed on macOS Sonoma 14.5. It is a clean install so nothing should be configured wrongly.

Do you have an idea on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Edited by Paliz
  • 1 month later...

@mrwynn 

Did you find any solution to this?

I'm having the same problem.

after typing ra + space I instantly ger a list of contacts on r. I can briefly see an item "Adding bookmark to Raindrop" with a "loading.." text, but this item disappears after about one second.

While trying to find a solution to this I started over.

- remover the workflow

- de-registered the integration from raindrop

After re-installing the workflow I don't get the option to authenticate with raindrop. Where is this authentication information stored? How do I clear it to start over?

Posted (edited)

@MichaelS

You can find the authentification information in Keychain Access (search for raindrop there, and you will find it), and if you remove it from there it should ask for a reauthentification next time you try to use the workflow.

As for the first problem here, I have not been able to reproduce this, which has also so far made it hard to fix.

Are you using some kind of proxy, vpn solution or firewall that might do something with network connections?

Edited by andreas.w

- I deleted the keyChain item

- deactivate Little Snitch

..problem persists

The Raindrop workflow acts a little different to other workflows with a script filter keyword. The Shimmering-obsidian workflow immediately shows only obsidian stuff after I type o+space. Your workflow shows some contacts and among the contacts I see "Search you Raindrop.." after I press r + space.

Somehow the raindrop workflow does not take full command over Alfreds search, the search result is a mix of regular search results and Raindrop items.

Edited by MichaelS

Update.

I disabled contacts search in Alfred and got rid of the contacts results. But the problem remains, Raindrop workflow does not initiate correctly.

At the first try I got "not authenticated".

- I Authenticated and confirmed that an access token got stored in keyChain

Second try I got straight to the "Search..", but the "loading" flashes quickly and then I got the fallback search results instead of Raindrop.

Edited by MichaelS

@MichaelS

It's very interesting that you get the Raindrop workflow's results mixed together with other things from Alfred.

I'm not getting that myself, but it rather behaves like you describe the Obsidian workflow.

When I type r, I get lots of results that starts with an r, and when I then type space, everything except the Raindrop options goes away, and it first show only "Search your Raindrop.io bookmarks" and "Browse your Raindrop.io collections", until I type something more, and then it displays the results from that instead.

So the question is why it behaves differently for you.

I guess that it might be possible that it simply crashes for some reason, and that Alfred then falls back to showing other results that matches what you typed.

What do you see in the log if you first go to the Raindrop workflow in Alfred's preferences and click the debug mode button (the one with a bug on it in the top right corner) and then try to use the workflow?

33 minutes ago, andreas.w said:

@MichaelS

It's very interesting that you get the Raindrop workflow's results mixed together with other things from Alfred.

I'm not getting that myself, but it rather behaves like you describe the Obsidian workflow.

When I type r, I get lots of results that starts with an r, and when I then type space, everything except the Raindrop options goes away, and it first show only "Search your Raindrop.io bookmarks" and "Browse your Raindrop.io collections", until I type something more, and then it displays the results from that instead.

So the question is why it behaves differently for you.

I guess that it might be possible that it simply crashes for some reason, and that Alfred then falls back to showing other results that matches what you typed.

What do you see in the log if you first go to the Raindrop workflow in Alfred's preferences and click the debug mode button (the one with a bug on it in the top right corner) and then try to use the workflow?

As another user I can confirm that "r" + space works fine, as you describe it. So that sounds like a user error.

What still does not work in this workflow though, is the "ra" (add bookmark) as described here.

When I type ra+space, nothing happens. Not a single row shows up in the log.

This is the log from r+space:

---

[15:00:08.126] Logging Started...

[15:00:10.934] Search Raindrop.io[Script Filter] Queuing argument '(null)'

[15:00:11.329] Search Raindrop.io[Script Filter] Script with argv '(null)' finished

[15:00:11.338] STDERR: Search Raindrop.io[Script Filter] 🍺

15:00:10 workflow.go:328: ----- Search Raindrop.io/2.0.7 (AwGo/0.27.1) -----

15:00:11 feedback.go:509: Sent 2 result(s) to Alfred

15:00:11 workflow.go:405: ------------------- 298.1675ms -------------------

[15:00:11.339] Search Raindrop.io[Script Filter] {

"variables": {

"AW_SESSION_ID": "SEZK85NZZ6RNLZJL"

},

"items": [

{

"title": "Search your Raindrop.io bookmarks",

"subtitle": "Or press enter to open Raindrop.io",

"arg": "https://app.raindrop.io/",

"valid": true,

"goto": "open"

},

"mods": {

"alt": {

"arg": "https://app.raindrop.io/",

"subtitle": "Or press enter to open Raindrop.io",

"goto": "open"

}

}

}

},

{

"title": "Browse your Raindrop.io collections",

"subtitle": "",

"valid": true,

"icon": {

"path": "folder.png"

},

"goto": "browse"

},

"mods": {

"alt": {

"subtitle": "",

"goto": "browse"

}

}

}

}

]

}

I see now that "ra+space+test" crashes:

[15:08:02.096] Search Raindrop.io[Script Filter] Queuing argument 'test'
[15:08:02.578] Search Raindrop.io[Script Filter] Script with argv '(null)' finished
[15:08:02.583] ERROR: Search Raindrop.io[Script Filter] Code 1: 6194:6361: execution error: sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `'' sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file (2)

11 minutes ago, Paliz said:

What still does not work in this workflow though, is the "ra" (add bookmark) as described here.

Adding bookmarks works perfectly for me too, just like searching, so something is different for you and to fix this problem we would need to figure out what that is. If I can make the same thing happen for me I will probably be able to fix it relatively easily.

Can you check what the log says for you when you try to add a bookmark? (go to the Raindrop workflow in Alfred's preferences and click the debug mode button, the one with a bug on it in the top right corner, and then try to add a bookmark)

You are right.

I don't know how I got hold of an old version. I just installed the workflow. After installing the latest version, ra+space now works.

But both r and ra still shows result mixed with other Alfred results.

Just now, andreas.w said:

Adding bookmarks works perfectly for me too, just like searching, so something is different for you and to fix this problem we would need to figure out what that is. If I can make the same thing happen for me I will probably be able to fix it relatively easily.

Can you check what the log says for you when you try to add a bookmark? (go to the Raindrop workflow in Alfred's preferences and click the debug mode button, the one with a bug on it in the top right corner, and then try to add a bookmark)

I just saw your other comment regarding updating and noticed there was an update to 2.0.11. It seems to work now. I just wonder how come I had an older version, because I installed it just a few weeks ago. I am guessing that the top google hit and the official Raindrop site: https://raindrop.io/integrations/alfred actually linked to an older version until just now. 

I will test a bit more but so far it looks good, thanks for the reply!

@MichaelS @Paliz

Great to hear that at least the biggest problems seem to be solved for both of you now!

As for the problem with mixed results from the Raindrop workflow and other Alfred results, I thing that might be some setting in Alfred, but I I'm not sure exactly what it might be so I'm looking into it to see what I can find.

My guess is that this is not a problem with the workflow itself though, but rather something that applies to all of Alfred.

Could you check if other workflows behaves like this too? @MichaelS

As stated earlier, no other workflows works like this.

This includes one I wrote myself as well as shimmering-obsidian. As soon as I hit space after the repsective keyword, all other results disappears. Not so with raindrop.

I tried to see what differs between my own workflow and raindrop. Here are screenshots from both.

Mine is a Node script:

image.thumb.png.99f7c1afcc3c3b5abecb6469677512cd.png

Raindrop:

image.thumb.png.25dde10f6b3671f7d0e5e03596ac761d.png

15 minutes ago, Paliz said:

I just wonder how come I had an older version, because I installed it just a few weeks ago. I am guessing that the top google hit and the official Raindrop site: https://raindrop.io/integrations/alfred actually linked to an older version until just now. 

@Paliz

You seem to be right about something being off with that link. The service Packal, which it links to for my workflow, should normally be a good place to download from and I have double checked that the newest version is actually uploaded there, but appearently there must be a bug in their service, because the download link actually points to a much older version, even though the newest one is uploaded.

I will probably simply remove it from Packal to avoid this problem, and will ask Raindrop.io to change there link to Github instead.

Thanks for telling me!

@MichaelS

I wonder if there might be some type of a results cache in Alfred that could have been tricked into behaving like this from when the workflow was craching before it was updated.

Have you tried to simply restart Alfred after you updated the workflow to see if that might help?

Great find!

That was the problem. After restarting Alfred everything now works as it should. It was a scary thing to quit Alfred though. How do you start Alfred without Alfred? I had to use the mouse and try to click my way through Mac menus 😃

Now, when everything works it's time for kudos. This is a really great workflow. And the support is outstanding!

Med hälsningar från Tyresö.

Edited by MichaelS

@mrwynn

You had the exact same problem as I did with contacts showing up in the result list. My problem is solved.

1. ensure that you have the latest version of the workflow

2. quit Alfred and restart

Some result items was stuck in some Alfred cache. Maybe those items where cached when I used an older workflow version which crashed.