Ctrl-F for folder navigation stopped working in 4.5 [Fixed 4.5.1 b1255 pre-release]

Milo

Hi,

in previous versions of Alfred I could use the CTRL-F shorcut to step into folders. It is more convenient to use than the arrow keys because I don't have to move my hand over to the cursor keys. It used to work in all previous versions before and stopped working with the latest update to 4.5.

It would be great if you could bring this keyboard shortcut back. I'm missing it very much.

Otherwise thank you for the great work. I started using Universal Actions the other day and I think it could become very handy in the future.

On 8/5/2021 at 3:05 PM, Milo said:

It is more convenient to use than the arrow keys because I don't have to move my hand over to the cursor keys.

That’s exactly the reason, why I use Karabiner elements to remap "a+l" to "right arrow key". All arrow keys are mapped to "a+hjkl" like in vim(h=left,  j=down, k=up, l=right).

More is mapped to "a+" like "a+n" for "cmd+left arrow", but that’s extras.

• Andrew changed the title to Ctrl-F for folder navigation stopped working in 4.5 [Fixed 4.5.1 b1255 pre-release]

@Andrew It works!

While we're at it. Could you also make Ctrl-b work as a substitute for the left arrow key (back) in folder navigation?

These are all shortcuts borrowed from Emacs.

https://jblevins.org/log/kbd

They work in most native text input situations in macOS. I also use Ctrl-n (next line) and Ctrl-p (previous line) a lot. Those two already work nicely in Alfred.

Thanks you for the great support. I appreciate it a lot!

13 hours ago, FroZen_X said:

That’s exactly the reason, why I use Karabiner elements to remap "a+l" to "right arrow key". All arrow keys are mapped to "a+hjkl" like in vim(h=left,  j=down, k=up, l=right).

More is mapped to "a+" like "a+n" for "cmd+left arrow", but that’s extras.

I have looked into Karabiner many times. But I'm not very fond of installing kernel level extensions into the OS for stability and security reasons.

Your key mapping is very neat though. Thank you for the suggestion.

Just read up on the Emacs shortcuts again. You can even find them in the official support documents (see section "Document shortcuts"):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

One thing I didn't consider is that the actual meaning of ctrl-f is moving one character forward. Ctrl-b should move one character backward.

Ctrl-f used to work for folder navigation in previous realeses of Alfred and I think it makes sense in this context. I'm not certain about my idea for ctrl-b. Now it moves the cursor one character back which would be expected. So maybe using ctrl-b for moving back one folder is not such a great idea? It would be convenient for me. But maybe this will break some other users practice.