Selecting files in finder and do something

I've just downloaded Alfred for the first time and is testing it out. I'm currently using Launchbar and it has one feature that I really like, I can select one or more files in Finder, hit a shortcut and then do something with them (for example run applescript with these files as arguments, open the files in a program, etc).

I've looked at the documentation and it looks like File Actions in Alfred works the same way, but since it's a powerpack feature I can't really check if works similar to how Launchbar does.

So, since I've discovered that I use this feature a lot, can I do the same thing in Alfred as I can do in Launchbar?

Yup, Alfred works just like you said: select items in Finder, hit the "File Selection" hotkey, and you get a list of possible actions for those items.

eg.

screenshot20130402at834.png

And, of course, the actions offered change depending on the file type and are prioritized based on your previous usage. (And actions can be extended by workflows to, well, almost anything.)

It's all good. B)

The big difference is that in Launchbar you can either select the items in the Finder and then open Launchbar OR you can open Launchbar and then have it grab the items you have selected in the Finder. In Alfred, as far as I can tell, you have to start from the Finder. I wish there was a Cmd-G (grab) in Alfred, but as far as I can tell, there isn't.

The big difference is that in Launchbar you can either select the items in the Finder and then open Launchbar OR you can open Launchbar and then have it grab the items you have selected in the Finder. In Alfred, as far as I can tell, you have to start from the Finder. I wish there was a Cmd-G (grab) in Alfred, but as far as I can tell, there isn't.

In Alfred, in regular search results or in file navigation mode, select an item and press the right arrow to get the same results actions that are available from press Cmd+Opt+\ when in Finder.

In Alfred, in regular search results or in file navigation mode, select an item and press the right arrow to get the same results actions that are available from press Cmd+Opt+\ when in Finder.

That is true. I was just commenting to the former Launchbar user that you can't grab the currently selected finder items once you are in Alfred itself. Yes, you can navigate to them from within Alfred, but Launchbar allows you to hit CMD-G from within Launchbar, which takes what is currently in the Finder and grabs it (or pulls it) into Launchbar. I'm OK with the way Alfred does it (where you have to be in the Finder to start, you hit Cmd-Opt-\ and it takes your selection and opens it in Alfred), but muscle memory often has me Cmd-Spacing into Alfred first and then wanting to grab the Finder item second. Any former Launchbar user would need to get use to that.

That is true. I was just commenting to the former Launchbar user that you can't grab the currently selected finder items once you are in Alfred itself. Yes, you can navigate to them from within Alfred, but Launchbar allows you to hit CMD-G from within Launchbar, which takes what is currently in the Finder and grabs it (or pulls it) into Launchbar. I'm OK with the way Alfred does it (where you have to be in the Finder to start, you hit Cmd-Opt-\ and it takes your selection and opens it in Alfred), but muscle memory often has me Cmd-Spacing into Alfred first and then wanting to grab the Finder item second. Any former Launchbar user would need to get use to that.

It works for me without opening a finder window. The hotkey is sometimes a little unresponsive but it works. i don't even use it though, i much prefer the control key to navigate into the action prompt.