No notification for Time Machine drive Eject

Hi there!

The problem: when I use the 'eject all' (or 'eject) feature to unmount all drives, I get a notification that the Drive X has been ejected all drives except my Time Machine drive. I have no idea why.

• Time Machine drive is formatted as APFS. 
  • Alfred 5.0.3
  • macOS 12.6
  • Settings in Alfred (see screenshot)

I'm very looking forward to some steps I can take to solve this problem. 

Thanks!

Screenshot 2022-10-18 at 15.44.44.png

Sorry, this is just a random idea based on what I’ve discovered when trying to eject a Time Machine drive: have you tried ejectall instead of merely eject? Time Machine appears to mount, as drives, a number of backups and simply ejecting the Time Machine drive itself doesn't (at least for me) seem to be sufficient to eject everything on that drive.

I appreciate that does not directly address your lack of a notification and I'm sorry if it doesn't help.

Stephen

@Dagaloni How is your Time Machine connected to your Mac? Is it a physical drive that you unplug periodically or a network connected drive?

Is the Time Machine drive the only one where you're not seeing a notification? And is the drive being ejected in macOS, but you're just not getting a notification?

As we don't use Time Machine with plugged drives, it may take some time to setup and investigate further, so I'd be grateful if you could provide any more information you can think of about your configuration. :) 

Hi Vero! 

Yes it's a physical drive connected through my display via USB A and my display is connect through USB C. I did some testing and connected another drive through the same port on my display, and eject notifications worked fine for that drive. Just not for my time machine drive. 

Sure, no problem! If you need any more information, please let me know. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How is your Time Machine connected to your Mac? 

The drive is connected using a USB-C port. 

Is it a physical drive that you unplug periodically or a network connected drive?

It is a physical drive. 

Is the Time Machine drive the only one where you're not seeing a notification?

Yes. I have another physical drive, and there is a notification when I eject that one.

And is the drive being ejected in macOS, but you're just not getting a notification?

Yes, the drive can be ejected. It just doesn't show a notification (it also appears that if I eject the drive very early on, it sometimes does show a notification but this pattern is not very consistent. Not sure why). 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, jasonmoy said:

(it also appears that if I eject the drive very early on, it sometimes does show a notification but this pattern is not very consistent. Not sure why

I'm wondering if this is a macOS problem. I'm running macOS 14.4.1 with Alfred 5.5 (and, incidentally, you've not indicated what versions you're running as I previously requested) and I, too, when using the Alfred ejectall command sometimes see a notification and sometimes do not. In any case when viewing the desktop I can see the physical USB C connected drives have been ejected (or not, as the case may be—for sometimes Time Machine seems very picky about actually ejecting, as well). For what it's worth, the longer I leave ejecting the drives after the backup has completed the more difficulty I have ejecting them. I've no idea whether that is linked or not.

Stephen