Workflows not appearing in list of actions

I KNOW this is a simple issue, but it has me baffled.

For starters I am not a power Alfred user. (But I am a Powerpack licensee.) I use it for really basic stuff. Web and spotlight searches, app opening, etc. 

But I've decided to dig into it a little bit more, and am trying to learn, workflows. I have installed AND ENABLED several workflows from the Alfred website.  Some seem to work okay, but some do not trigger with the default text snippet created by the developer. Instead, after inputting the text snippet and a space, it frequently goes to either a web or file search. Doesn’t even show the workflow as a listed option.

For example, I have installed the recent files workflow. It is triggered by default text snippet "rf." But when I type RF in the Alfred bar, instead of showing recent files as a choice, web search options pop up. 

Or some will appear in the list but not do the correct thing. Example: the Pinboard Tool snippet does NOT add the current website page, although it DOES pop up the workflow as an option.

I figure that some time ago I changed a setting which now causes this, but I don't know how to undo it. I'd rather not reset to factory defaults if it can be avoided.

Thank you.

CleanShot2023-12-03at06_46.20@2x.thumb.png.54c582298164a092583f42119570913d.png

Welcome to the forum.

Let's look at the problem with the recent files workflow first. Take a look at the Alfred dependencies help page and follow the procedure outlined there and see if that helps.

Some workflows require you to install dependent items in order for the workflows to work correctly. Alfred can help you do that but you have to follow the procedure outlined in that article. You may find that also assists with other currently non-functional workflows if they also require dependencies to be installed.

(In passing, when you download a workflow from the Alfred gallery you'll see a note, towards the top of the workflow description, of any dependency required by that workflow—with a link to the help page to which I've linked.)

Let us know if that helps at all.

Stephen

Thank you Stephen. That was very helpful and remedied most of the issues I was having...Except with the recent files workflow. 

If I just enter rf, it finds lots of little irrelevant things (screenshot), but if I specify a filter, such as pdf: or doc: it searches for a bit but then comes back to a web search (other screenshot). In fact, even with just rf it isn't finding any of the pdf or word docs I worked on only 2 days ago. 

So my questions are:

What's with the rf workflow? I have not tinkered with it an all. It is as installed.

Is there something somewhere that defaults to a web search? I'd prefer that it not do that, but that it ALWAYS stays in my home folder unless I specifically tell it to search google or whatever. 

CleanShot 2023-12-03 at 13.15.32@2x.png

Edited by dcw96161
redaction

@dcw96161 Could you please share your workflow, or at least a screenshot of your workflow?

19 hours ago, dcw96161 said:

some do not trigger with the default text snippet created by the developer

Is your workflow triggered with a keyword or a snippet? Keywords are typed into Alfred to trigger a workflow, whereas snippets are typed in a third-party app, e.g. in your text editor or mail client, to trigger the workflow without launching Alfred first.

Seeing your workflow would be very helpful so that we know what you're expecting to do with the "rf" keyword.

Snippet: Sorry. I'm just using the word generically, not as a term of art. A sequence of keys that appear to be a small item of text. To invoke the workflow I input the text sequence rf. 

I believe the colon to be part of the filter syntax because the workflow configuration seems to say to do that. See below screenshot from the recent file workflow configuration sidebar.

Fallback searches. Thank you. I re-learned that last night. I forgot that I like them. I'd just rather not use them while I'm trying to solve my current puzzle, and would prefer that Alfred say "I got nothin" rather than go off on an online hunt for something I don't want. I have disabled.

I'm having the same frustration with the add-to-pinboard workflow. The configuration says simply to input pa and enter. But nothing gets added to my pinboard. 

Thank you for your help. It's is much appreciated.

CleanShot 2023-12-04 at 07.30.19@2x.png

2 minutes ago, dcw96161 said:

I believe the colon to be part of the filter syntax because the workflow configuration seems to say to do that.

In that case, check the debugger. Whatever’s happening is perhaps best asked to the devoleper directly.

4 minutes ago, dcw96161 said:

I'd just rather not use them while I'm trying to solve my current puzzle, and would prefer that Alfred say "I got nothin" rather than go off on an online hunt for something I don't want.

That is possible, but it depends on the workflow itself. Again, that makes it a question for the developer.

4 minutes ago, dcw96161 said:

I'm having the same frustration with the add-to-pinboard workflow. The configuration says simply to input pa and enter. But nothing gets added to my pinboard.

Please always use the workflow’s name and link to it, otherwise we don’t know which one you‘re talking about. In this case it seems you may be referring to Pin Plus. Once more, check the debugger. It’s probably telling you that you need to enable Allow JavaScript from Apple Events in your browser.

Good idea. Sorry. 

Pin Plus. https://alfred.app/workflows/vitor/pin-plus/

Recent files. https://alfred.app/workflows/jygh/recent-files/

I will wander off to "check the debugger" and report back. I can certainly ask the developer, but I usually prefer to use a community forum first in case I'm missing seething obvious.  Fellow users are usually more patient than developers Ive found. Plus, I always assume user error first--which solves many problems IRL--but frequently as high as 90% of computer-specific problems.