"File Exists" object - would be nice if it supported variables instead of only checking {query}

2 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

I don't think the Automation Tasks can reference variables (yet) either.

You can certainly use a variable in the Path: section of the Automation Task to which I referred (as well as in a number of other Automation Tasks).

Stephen

Indeed, you can use {var:} in Automation Tasks.

As to the original question, you can also use the Inbound Configuration to set a custom argument to the File Conditional, which can also be a {var:}. I just noticed that screenshot is outdated, though, as it doesn’t yet show the Custom Argument option. I’ll get that fixed.

Posted (edited)

Hmm that's (good) news to me! I tried putting {var:foo} in the AT configuration panel and it didn't work. Maybe I did something wrong, I will try again. Also, it's not mentioned in the docs that variables are supported...

edit: Hmmph. I just tried it again and yes, it works fine. Not sure what was going on earlier!

Edited by luckman212

I've used variables successfully in the Folder Contents AT, Abbreviate with Tilde in Path AT, Does Path Exist? AT, and Path Dirname AT…among others. So there's no inherent problem, I think.

Stephen