Help! I'm haunted by the ghost of an old workflow!

Posted (edited)

I have a workflow I use that creates snippets of text to insert a code block in my notes for computer science classes. The current version is set to create a C code block followed by a plaintext code block to show what the code outputs to the terminal. It uses the Snippet trigger followed by a Run Script object that runs an Apple script.

I had a previous version of this workflow with a slightly different command. The old snippet trigger was `;ct` (one semicolon preceding). The new snippet trigger is `;;ct` (two semicolons preceding). I'm including this because they're so similar I can't be 100% sure that's somehow sustaining this irksome computational poltergeist.

The weird thing is, although I'm pretty sure I deleted the old workflow, the command for that workflow somehow still works! (although very badly—the output is garbled and totally unusable). I say "pretty sure" because I didn't need it anymore and cannot find it anywhere in the list of workflows in my Alfred. I can't imagine where else it would be.

Further evidence that I'm not just seeing things is that if I try to change the snippet trigger for the current version of the workflow to the old snippet trigger (`;ct`) it brings up a little red error message saying that I can't use that trigger because it's already used for another workflow. BUT WHERE? I cannot find that workflow anywhere!! I've checked my built-in snippets, and it's not there either.

I'm so used to using the old snippet trigger that I often enter it by mistake and it ends up screwing up the last line or two of notes with its garbled output. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it would be nice to put the old workflow out of its misery.

If anyone could play technical Ghostbuster and think of any clues as to why this might be happening, I'd be wicked grateful.

Live Long and Prosper🖖🏼,
Tommie

Edited by eupraxia
Posted (edited)

Hey! If it is in fact still hidden in some workflow you might be able to locate it by typing ? ;ct in Alfred. This should show you where the trigger is used and lead you to it. If it really isn’t there, the devs should be interested in this 😄

The workflows are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/, assuming you didn’t change the location of the preferences. Good luck! 

Edited by zeitlings

@eupraxia Thumbs up for the funny post title 🤣

In terms of finding the problem workflow, here are a few things to try:

1. Type "?;ct" into Alfred: The question mark enters a Preferences Search mode, which you follow up with your keyword. If there's a match, it'll show up there, and you can press Return to open the workflow in question
  2. If you truly deleted the workflow but it still shows up, make sure that your preferences are stored correctly. By this I mean check that, if you're using a sync service, Alfred's preferences are set to be stored locally. If they're not available due to being stored online-only by your sync service, Alfred may be unable to delete the workflow correctly.
  3. If your issue persists, type "?diagnostics" into Alfred and email your diagnostics file to info@ - I'll take a look and see if I can find any unexpected keywords. (Please make sure you include a link back to this thread, so that I know what the diagnostics file is for)

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers,
Vero