Navigating Clipboard history with the same keys you use to invoke it

Hello!

Transitioning from LaunchBar's clipboard history. It had a great feature in that the same keystroke used to invoke the history (in my case Command+\) pressed a second time selected the 2nd item in the history, pressing a third time selected the 3rd... etc. Is it possible to make Alfred's clipboard history do the same? I have assigned Command+\ - and if I hit that to see history, Command+\ again makes the history disappear. It would be so much faster to just double-tap (triple-tap etc) on the "\" key with Command down to scroll through.

Example: select and paste 3rd item in history:

Alfred: Command+\, Down Arrow,  Down Arrow, Return

Launchbar Command+\\\ (let go)

In LB, I'm only using a modifier and three taps on one key.

In Alfred, I'm using a modifier plus first key, then two taps on the second key, then a third key

Any suggestions for making Alfred more efficient? A Workflow perhaps?

Thanks,

- eric

Edited by e2o
  • 2 weeks later...

@e2o You can accomplish this using a workflow with a Hotkey going into a Dispatch Key Combo Output. You'll first have to temporarily delete the Viewer Hotkey in the Clipboard History settings, then add it to the Hotkey object in the workflow (I would also recommend changing the trigger behaviour to "Pass through modifier keys", otherwise you'll notice a bit of lag). Once the workflow hotkey is programmed, you can add back the Viewer Hotkey in Clipboard History settings. Then go back to the workflow and set the Dispatch Key Combo to output a down arrow.

Now when you use your hotkey to view Alfred's Clipboard History, pressing it again will move you down the list instead of making it disappear.

• 2 weeks later...

This method only works for pressing the hotkey, not releasing it, as the Hotkey trigger isn't designed to detect the pressed state of individual keys. For that, you might consider a tool like Karabiner-Elements, which I've found pairs very nicely with Alfred. However, this is an advanced tool and is beyond the scope of Alfred and this discussion.

I also forgot to explicitly mention in my original reply that the Alfred app should be added to the Related Apps list of the Hotkey Trigger, otherwise you may have trouble assigning the hotkey.