Lag in Alfred accepting typing

Ctrl-space (yes - it's custom key setting) to Open Alfred and start typing, the window appears instantly, but unless I hesitate before typing, it doesn't get the first character I type. So ctrl-space 1Password comes out "Password". Same for anything I try to put in there. Has only happened since the macOS 14.5 update.

M1 Mac Studio Ultra

64GB RAM

macOS 14.5

Alfred 5.5 (2257).

It happens every single time I use Alfred.

Does not happen with 

M3 16" MBP

64GB RAM

macOS 15.0 (developer Beta)

Alfred 5.5 (2257)

Honestly driving me batty as I've used Alfred so long I can't use a Mac without it and this is really throwing me off.

@Hap Welcome to the forum :) This is a hotkey combo that may be conflicting with other apps that also set it to be used by default.

As well as answering the questions from Stephen, could you please provide your Diagnostics file, which you can get by typing "?diagnostics" into Alfred? You can then email them to our info@ address, so that I can take a look at your specific configuration.

If you change your hotkey to something less coveted, do you still see the same delay? This will help establish whether the hotkey combo itself is the issue, or something else.

On 6/18/2024 at 11:43 PM, Stephen_C said:

Welcome to the forum.

1. Are you syncing your Alftred preferences? If so, what sync method are you using and have you ensured (on both machines) that your preferences are available offline?
  2. Please show a screenshot of your default search scope settings on the problem machine.

Stephen

Yes, via Synology Drive, preferences files are always available, even off line.

search.jpg

On 6/19/2024 at 3:15 AM, Vero said:

@Hap Welcome to the forum :) This is a hotkey combo that may be conflicting with other apps that also set it to be used by default.

As well as answering the questions from Stephen, could you please provide your Diagnostics file, which you can get by typing "?diagnostics" into Alfred? You can then email them to our info@ address, so that I can take a look at your specific configuration.

If you change your hotkey to something less coveted, do you still see the same delay? This will help establish whether the hotkey combo itself is the issue, or something else.

I always change macOS Siri search to Command - Space. I was using Alfred long before Siri and wasn't going to break muscle memory. I verified that is the case on the problem system.

Interesting, the lag happens on every key combo I try EXCEPT Option - shift and I tried about 15 different combos. Option-shift is too cumbersome to use. Switching Control-Command between Spotlight and Alfred - Command Space has no lag, but I have years of muscle memory where it works (and it still works on my laptop). Grrr. I would rather deal with the lag than change muscle memory. 

Seems like a system problem rather than Alfred's. I'll email you the diagnostics file regardless, but feel free to disregard.

@Hap Thanks for sending in your Diagnostics. I've taken a look and everything looks pretty standard.

I don't think the sync location is the source of the issue due to the fact that you say with most hotkeys it behaves well, but with Option-based hotkey combos, you get a lag. However, just for completeness, you could try setting your sync location to a local non-Synology spot, such as your root directory (which is also non-iCloud synced) and see what behaviour you get. It's *possible* that Synology Drive, while being local, locks access to preferences files sometimes.

The more likely scenario is that an app on your Mac is interfering with Option-based hotkey combos. You could try the following:

1. On your current profile, quit all apps, including background apps, and try using Option hotkey combos and see whether you get any lag at all
  2. Create a new user account on your Mac temporarily, set your Option-inclusive hotkey combo and see what behaviour you get on a totally new account.

This will help establish whether it's something specific on your primary profile, and should help narrow down which app might be interfering.

If you work it out, could you let us know which app or configuration turns out to be the issue, as it may help someone else in the future :)

Cheers,
Vero