introducing alfred-xkcd

alfred-xkcd
A browser for xkcd comics
image.thumb.png.d839c6ee437d17465ce172f236b7cd63.png
If you are an xkcd fan and have ever tried to remember or find a particular comic, you might find this Workflow helpful. 

Download

Usage
- Search (default keyword: xkcd or hotkey): list and search xkcd comics. ❤️ will denote favorite, unread comics. 
- Favorite (default keyword: xk::favs or hotkey): favorite xkcd comics in grid view. 
- Random (default keyword: xk::random or hotkey): one random unread xkcd comic. 
- Recent (default keyword: xk::recent or hotkey): recently viewed xkcd comics in grid view. 

While in list, random, or favorite view:
↩️ show in text view (comic will be marked as read)
↩️: copy comic image to clipboard
(QuickLook): QuickLook image ( or space to quit). Using the arrow keys you can quickly review multiple comics (will not be marked as read)
^↩️: toggle favorite status
↩️: open on xkcd.com
↩️: open on explainxkcd.com (which has also larger images)

Updating
- alfred-xkcd will download the titles of new comics based on the number of days specified in the Workflow Configuration (Refresh Rate variable)
- refresh can be forced with xk::refresh

Feedback
... is welcome!

Edited by giovanni

I just saw the title of this and audibly said “nice”. Then I noticed it was from you and was more intrigued. Cool idea.

I’m not at my Mac right now so can’t check, but:

56 minutes ago, giovanni said:

show in text view

Do you really mean Text View? Why not the Image View? Maybe the Text View does make more sense in context (again, haven’t had the chance to download and try this).

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, vitor said:

Do you really mean Text View? Why not the Image View?

I wanted to show title and alt text, and use QuickLook for image preview, but I am open to ideas for improvement! I also like the 2x images they have at explainxkcd.com, perhaps the Workflow can download those and serve them with Image View?  

Edited by giovanni
On 7/22/2024 at 10:43 AM, giovanni said:

I wanted to show title and alt text, and use QuickLook for image preview, but I am open to ideas for improvement!

I tried it and definitely see the utility! One fun idea that popped into my head was to instead of an Image View having a Grid View with a singe column. Then adding the alt text in the mods JSON key so that it shows when users press ⌥. Literal alt text! Though in practice that could be cumbersome if someone has a narrow theme and the text is long. Unless, of course, ⌥↩ showed the text in Large Type or something.

I think it would be a matter of preference, since it’s not really better than what you have, just different. And I haven’t tried my idea in practice, so there could be other tradeoffs I’m not remembering.