How to quickly open a folder /Applications/Optional?

Just a simple question of a light user:

When I type  the first letters of an app in Alfred, the app appears as a selection for opening or showing in Finder. So far, so great.

However I have a folder in /Applications named /Applications/Optional, I sometimes would like to open quickly with Alfred too. When I start typing O p t i o n a... I never get /Applications/Optional as a selection...

Do I have to switch on Indexing of Folders somewhere? 

Many thanks for any pointers!

You can absolutely enable the checkbox for Folders in the Extras section. The Note and WARNING text underneath explain the drawback. It's really a balance between convenience and performance. Adding a few extra things to the Default Results should be fine, but finding what you want could become slower and more difficult the more things you add. I find the spacebar shortcut for the open command works best for me, but it's all a matter of preference.

For extra context, Alfred relies a lot on keywords for accessing specific functionality, so different Features and Workflows often have configurable keywords to access their specific functions. It makes using Alfred a lot more refined and performant since for the most part, he's only loading what you ask him to.

1 hour ago, halloleo said:

So I somehow add Folders to the Default Results? Is there a draw back doing this?

For what it's worth I have Folders as part of Alfred's default results and:

• find it incredibly useful simply to type a folder name and press to open that folder;
  • don't find it has any material adverse effect on Alfred's performance on my M2 Mac.

As for "somehow” adding it's easy. Just do as advised in the link @FireFingers21 provided: go to Alfred Preferences → Features → Default Results and under Extras: check Folders.

Stephen

Stephen

For this particular case, if you’re only looking to see that specific folder, I’d also consider searching for the name of an app in it, then do ⌥↩ to Reveal in Finder.¹

But the solution provided by @FireFingers21 is absolutely valid, and like @Stephen_C I also turn on Folders (and only that) in Extras. It’s all about moderation and managing the tradeoff: If one turns on every option in there it could get crowded, but just a couple can enhance your flow depending on what you use Alfred most for.

¹ Your shortcut may vary. You can set it in Alfred Preferences → Advanced → Action modifier (on the right).

10 hours ago, vitor said:

For this particular case, if you’re only looking to see that specific folder, I’d also consider searching for the name of an app in it, then do ⌥↩ to Reveal in Finder.¹

Well, that's why I wanted to open the folder in the first place: To see what apps are in there...

10 hours ago, vitor said:

[...] and like @Stephen_C I also turn on Folders (and only that) in Extras. It’s all about moderation and managing the tradeoff: If one turns on every option in there it could get crowded, but just a couple can enhance your flow depending on what you use Alfred most for.

That's exactly what I now do too: Switching on Folders works for me reasonably well. So thanks for the suugestion!

As an experiment I have switched off "Folders in Home", but I'll see how I go with this.