Can't set up custom searches

I changed mac and am trying to set up all my alfred preferences again. When I try and add a new custom search, it works when I test it in the set up window, but then does not activate when I type the short cut into the search bar. see screen shots below. I am wondering if it is a permissions thing on the mac but I don't know how to check. Any help appreciated!

image.thumb.png.832208f510a18c9e2a5b037939156209.png

Screenshot 2024-08-04 at 1.10.59 PM.png

While @Stephen_C helps you troubleshoot, I would also like to point out if you still have access to Alfred on your old Mac, your Alfred preferences can be moved/synced across devices. In Alfred Preferences → Advanced, under the Syncing section, you should be able to find where your preferences file is located and likewise set the preferences folder to point to that file after moving it to your new Mac. Could save a lot of headache setting everything up again.

Posted (edited)

Thanks @FireFingers21 - sadly my last mac was the victim of water spillage, so all was lost! I have learnt from my mistakes and set up the new alfred to save preferences in a onedrive folder. 

Having said that I just realised my past self may have done the same, but now don't know how to check what the old syncing folder might have been. Any suggestions??

Edited by Coralie

@Coralie If you're still seeing issues with your preferences being saved following the helpful advice from Stephen and FireFingers21, I can take a look at your Diagnostics to see if they're being saved correctly.

To do this, please provide your Diagnostics file, which you can get by typing "?diagnostics" into Alfred? You can then email them to our info@ address so that I can take a look. Please include a link back to this thread in your email so that I can associate it with this conversation :)

Cheers,
Vero

Thanks Vero. I have sorted out my issue with the custom web searches - all the accessibility settings have been fixed so it now works. However, I am still having trouble with being able to search the folders I want for documents (primarily sharepoint document folders). Any tips? 

The best place to start is with this Alfred help page: Troubleshooting File Indexing Issues. Probably your Sharepoint documents are not within your file Search Scope in Alfred. (Note that for speed and efficiency in searching you may not want them to be within that scope. It may be more efficient to set up a specific File Filter for your Sharepoint files—so long as it's possible to make them seachable. Sorry, I don't use Sharepoint so I don't know that much about it. One way to check is whether or not you can make them visible to Spotlight.)

If you still have problems just post again and someone will be along with more help.

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...