Spel - A nicely integrated local spell checker for Alfred.

Spel

image.png.9d4437314eca3e83594100b28fa65b2c.png

A nicely integrated local spell checker for Alfred.

To use Spel, select some text and choose 'Spell Check Selection' from Alfred's Universal Actions menu. A list of replacements is shown for each misspelt word. If you want to skip a word, the up arrow key will take you to the bottom of the list, revealing the 'Skip Word' option. When finished, 'Done' will replace the selected text with the corrected text.

Alternatively, holding the option key when first running Spel will automatically replace each word with its 'top hit'. Use this with caution though.

Dependencies and Links

Spel uses aspell which is available through homebrew.

Spel is available at The Alfred Gallery or Github

To use Spel

Here is a short guide with screenshots:

Select text

image.thumb.png.075f5e9bdf9198af49faa7c495c53c04.png

Choose 'Spell Check Selection' from the Universal Actions menu

image.thumb.png.5fd64a840ae2b0cd651bcb506bb40ba3.png

Choose replacement word from list (repeating for each misspelt word)

image.thumb.png.c6092a76c4d04539e36e21f3b4c5cd56.png

Skip words by pressing up arrow and selecting the 'Skip Word' option

image.thumb.png.f2e0d93f6fe4028628695e5814669c08.png

Selecting 'Done' will replace the selection with the corrected text

image.thumb.png.f83aa16a53c1f60e3bd0819621f0eae5.png

Edited by Floating.Point
Embedded images into post

This looks nice. Clever name and icon too, thumbs ups. I did notice you’re using /opt/homebrew/bin/aspell which means it’ll only work for people on Apple Silicon. Use instead just aspell (or /usr/bin/env aspell if for some reason you need a full executable path) so it works for everyone, as Alfred includes the Homebrew directories in its PATH.

Also, I recommend:

• Editing the first connections and mark them to Don’t close the Alfred window on actioning result so you don’t get a window “flicker”.
  • Activating Alfred filters results in the Script Filter. That will allow users to search for the correct spelling instead of having to arrow down.

10 hours ago, Floating.Point said:

Im very proud of this one and hope it may be considered for inclusion in the Alfred Gallery 

You should, and it will!

6 hours ago, vitor said:
  • Editing the first connections and mark them to Don’t close the Alfred window on actioning result so you don’t get a window “flicker”.

Ah okay, so I made this change but still get a flicker when moving to the next word - I assume because I am using the call external to loop back onto the Script Filter?

6 hours ago, vitor said:
  • Activating Alfred filters results in the Script Filter. That will allow users to search for the correct spelling instead of having to arrow down.

Brilliant! I knew of this feature and left it disabled, with the desire to keep the 'Skip' option at the bottom of the list - but now realise Alfred will only re-order the results if they have a unique identifier, which in this case they do not. So now, with your recommendation implemented, the result order remains as desired, but the user can search the results. Perfect result!