Support markdown viewer in Quick Look

I use the clipboard viewer a lot, using shift to quick-look, I saw that Alfred now has built-in markdown support.

it would be cool to have another button to quick look with markdown support (or auto-detect markdown).

Thanks!

Quick Look is a separate system, part of macOS. There are plugins to allow it to render markdown and other file formats, but it’s not something an app can modify at will.

However, you can easily make a workflow to preview anything from the clipboard in the Text View. Connect a Universal Action to a Text View. Configure the former to only take text and the latter to parse as Markdown, and you’re done.

8 hours ago, vitor said:

There are plugins to allow it to render markdown and other file formats, but it’s not something an app can modify at will.

Such as QLMarkdown (Github, free) or Peek (App Store, payed). I actually bought peek and it still works great, but note that there have been no updates for 2 years.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, vitor said:

However, you can easily make a workflow to preview anything from the clipboard in the Text View. Connect a Universal Action to a Text View. Configure the former to only take text and the latter to parse as Markdown, and you’re done.

Thanks, this was easy to accomplish, but can I associate a hotkey to a universal action?
I want to go from clipboard viewer to the universal action in one go, without searching the actions list.

Is that possible?

Going through the list also creates a problem with stacking, I want the clipboard viewer to remain visible and go back to it with escape, but stacking means - first go back to the actions list and with another escape press go back the clipboard viewer.

Quick Look is a separate system, part of macOS.

Ohhh...

I just realized I used it from finder before but that process has such a different feeling (shift press in aflred vs a mouse selection after right click, which is how I used that feature in finder), i just never made the connection that it's the same thing

Edited by Maddog

2 hours ago, Maddog said:

but can I associate a hotkey to a universal action?

Use a Hotkey Trigger with Argument set to Selection in macOS. You lose stacking, though.

2 hours ago, Maddog said:

I want the clipboard viewer to remain visible and go back to it with escape

You can go back to it by pressing its hotkey again instead, though you lose the position.

Unrelated: Is your choice of username in any way related to Jon Hall, or is it purely coincidental?

9 hours ago, vitor said:

You can go back to it by pressing its hotkey again instead, though you lose the position.

Ok! It's incredible that "Selection in MacOs" applies to the clipboard viewer, this is nice and allows to quickly view an entry.

But losing the position/stacking is annoying, wish there was a cleaner way. 

9 hours ago, vitor said:

Unrelated: Is your choice of username in any way related to Jon Hall, or is it purely coincidental?

as a teenager I picked that nickname, I think from this western shooting game (but don't tell anyone, it's kinda cringe)