Deleting symlinks

maciej

Hi,

I am having a problem with deleting symlinks.

When I point Alfred to a one and choose "delete" action, an original file gets erased, not the symlink itself.

What you were doing when the issue happened: I was trying to delete a symlink
Whether you were able to replicate it a second time by performing the same action: happens all the time
Include any screenshots that might help us: - - -
Include the Alfred version & build number you are using: 2.1 (218)
Include your OS X version: 10.9 - Maverick

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Maciej

PS. I just checked - and it refers also to other actions (copy, move etc.). A symlink itself is not deleted or copied, an original file is.
Edited by maciej

Hi,

I am having a problem with deleting symlinks.

When I point Alfred to a one and choose "delete" action, an original file gets erased, not the symlink itself.

What you were doing when the issue happened: I was trying to delete a symlink
Whether you were able to replicate it a second time by performing the same action: happens all the time
Include any screenshots that might help us: - - -
Include the Alfred version & build number you are using: 2.1 (218)
Include your OS X version: 10.9 - Maverick

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Maciej

PS. I just checked - and it refers also to other actions (copy, move etc.). A symlink itself is not deleted or copied, an original file is.

Alfred fully resolves all symlink trees by design in the file actions. I'll add a ticket to consider the implications of this as I can see that the top level node symlink may be the thing you want to delete rather than the source.

[moving to investigating]

• 10 months later...

+1

If you think you are deleting or moving the symlink, when you're actually playing with the original file, you can end up doing some damage. I think it's very counterintuitive to resolve the link. It also means there's no way to manipulate the symlinks.

Please fix this!

+1

If you think you are deleting or moving the symlink, when you're actually playing with the original file, you can end up doing some damage. I think it's very counterintuitive to resolve the link. It also means there's no way to manipulate the symlinks.

Please fix this!

Making Alfred symlink aware is currently planned for a future major release as this is will be part of overhauling the file interactions... but this will be fixed in the future!