keyboard shortcut conflicts - How do I change them?

Hey, folks!

• I need the keyboard shortcut alt+cmd+c to copy styles in Keynote and to open canvas options in Photoshop.
  • Alfred (Powerpack) has taken over this combination globally to open the clipboard snippet window.
  • How can I disable or modify this (and other) shortcuts in Alfred v2?

I haven't found a help or forum topic on this, but that could be my bad searching.

Thanks in advance for links to the right stuff and/or answers.

- horncologne.

Hey, folks!

• I need the keyboard shortcut alt+cmd+c to copy styles in Keynote and to open canvas options in Photoshop.
  • Alfred (Powerpack) has taken over this combination globally to open the clipboard snippet window.
  • How can I disable or modify this (and other) shortcuts in Alfred v2?

I haven't found a help or forum topic on this, but that could be my bad searching.

Thanks in advance for links to the right stuff and/or answers.

- horncologne.

Alfred uses this combo for the clipboard history viewer. You can change this hotkey (or remove it) in Alfred's Features > Clipboard preferences.

Let me know if you can't find it and I'll pop you a screenshot :)

Cheers.

Andrew

• 3 years later...

Thanks Andrew you helped me cut my evening down by hours.

On 3/11/2014 at 3:36 AM, Andrew said:

Alfred uses this combo for the clipboard history viewer. You can change this hotkey (or remove it) in Alfred's Features > Clipboard preferences.

Let me know if you can't find it and I'll pop you a screenshot :)

Cheers.

Andrew

• 4 months later...

@Andrew @horncologne @greggluhring I have a slightly different, but related question to this thread: 

Is it possible to create a workflow that uses an existing system shortcut (like cmd+w) as a hotkey in Alfred that is specific to a particular application? 

While Alfred allows you to tie a hotkey to a specific application (i.e., a related app), I can't figure out how to assign an existing shortcut as the hotkey when it's already assigned elsewhere. In other words, is it possible to assign a hotkey that might conflict with an existing shortcut, but where Alfred is smart enough to know that it takes primacy?

In most cases, I would just reassign the system shortcut that is creating the conflict, so that Alfred can use it. But in this case, where I only want the action to behave differently for a specific application, it doesn't make much sense.

If this won't work as a hotkey, are there other ways to tackle this in Alfred? Thanks for your help!!

@Jasondm007 There's something unusual going on here. Alfred will let you re-assign standard application shortcuts (I've re-assigned ⌘⌥M to @vitor's MarkdownBulletin workflow in Safari and Chrome, even though it's the standard shortcut for "Minimize All").

I suspect either Alfred or the system is special-casing ⌘W and preventing you from assigning it. It might also be because it's a shortcut that exists within Alfred Preferences (you also can't use ⎋ as a shortcut).

EDIT: Also, there's no need to "page" everyone like that. Anyone who's posted in the thread will get a notification regardless.

Edited by deanishe

@Jasondm007 Alfred has a small set of exclusions to prevent confusion. These exclusions were added in Alfred v1 after people didn't realise the hotkey field had focus and e.g. typed cmd+w to close the Alfred Preferences window not realising they had set the hotkey, which then overrode the behaviour for all of macOS for closing windows.

The default exclusions are: ⌘Q ⌘W ⌘S ⌘X ⌘C ⌘V ⌘Z.

You can in fact force Alfred to use these (or any already assigned hotkeys) if you edit the workflow plist directly, but there is no way to make Alfred take precedence vs other previously assigned hotkeys of the same type (although, usually system assigned hotkeys will be overridden). Alfred registers the hotkeys with macOS, then gets notified my macOS when one of these hotkeys are triggered. How macOS decides which hotkey should be triggered isn't publicly documented.

Cheers,

Andrew

On 19/08/2017 at 5:19 AM, Andrew said:

The default exclusions are: ⌘Q ⌘W ⌘S ⌘X ⌘C ⌘V ⌘Z.

@Andrew I think you have ⌘D (cmd+ctrl+d) excluded as well... I was trying to set it, but couldn't, I thought you excluded it since it's the standard shortcut for the popup dictionary. Or is it the OS that prevent us from using it ?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I assume you're referring to the key combination bringing up with clipboard history viewer. I use shift-cmd-c for that and it's very easy to change: go to Alfred Preferences > Clipboard Histrory and inViewer Hotkey simply press the alternative hotkey combination you wish to use. (I've not tried leaving it blank because I chose to have a hotkey combination for that function.)

Stephen