External Triggers not showing Title/Subtitle [Fixed 2.5 b290]

rjames86

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is by design or a bug, but figured I would throw it in this topic for the time being.

In 2.3 pre-release, I'm starting to use external triggers. I've noticed that when sending one trigger to another (a script filter in this case), the title and subtitle text do not appear. 

Note: I'm firing the external trigger with no argument:

tell application "Alfred 2" to run trigger "admintype" in workflow "com.alfredapp.andrew.xmlformat"

The resulting external trigger looks like this:

Screenshot%202014-04-29%2021.44.10.png

Whereas if the trigger is called separately it appears as this:

Screenshot%202014-04-29%2021.44.38.png

It would be great to show at least the subtitle text so that it's intuitive what is being asked in this prompt

Thanks!

- Ryan

I've replicated this, but I believe it's the intended behavior.

Just to clarify: you want the keyword's Placeholder Title and Subtext to appear when the keyword is triggered?

Yep exactly. Just something to display what the prompt is asking for. Otherwise, the only way to know would be the icon, which isn't ideal

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is by design or a bug, but figured I would throw it in this topic for the time being.

In 2.3 pre-release, I'm starting to use external triggers. I've noticed that when sending one trigger to another (a script filter in this case), the title and subtitle text do not appear. 

Note: I'm firing the external trigger with no argument:

tell application "Alfred 2" to run trigger "admintype" in workflow "com.alfredapp.andrew.xmlformat"

The resulting external trigger looks like this:

Screenshot%202014-04-29%2021.44.10.png

Whereas if the trigger is called separately it appears as this:

Screenshot%202014-04-29%2021.44.38.png

It would be great to show at least the subtitle text so that it's intuitive what is being asked in this prompt

Thanks!

- Ryan

I mentioned this to Andrew as well. As a temporary workaround... make the external trigger point to a keyword (but don't set the keyword), set the title and sub on it and set the argument to optional

I mentioned this to Andrew as well. As a temporary workaround... make the external trigger point to a keyword (but don't set the keyword), set the title and sub on it and set the argument to optional

Thanks David. Not sure this would work with the workflow I'm going for. My idea right now is something like this:

Keyword "argument" > Script filter with searchable options > Run Script > Open URLs

If in step two, I were to use a keyword filter instead of script filter, I wouldn't be able to search for additional options.

This is the same behaviour as linking a hotkey to an input, and I agree, it's not ideal. I'll have a think about what I'll do to rectify this :)

Thanks, Andrew. Really loving this new external trigger stuff. I'm just getting into Keyboard Maestro, and see a ton of potential here too :)

• 3 months later...

Hey chaps, Just a quick update to say that I'll be reorganising the Alfred window in 2.5 for the case of a fixed input such as a hotkey or external trigger which shows Alfred. This also helps with things like web searches setup for the upcoming Alfred Remote.

The relevant input icon which was previously to the left will move to the right (replacing the Alfred hat, if visible), and the input itself will be processed. This essentially means that a keyword / script filter will be run regardless of whether an argument has been specified... basically, you'll get the placeholder text or your initial results without having to fudge things.

Here is an example:

placeholder.png

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for looking into this. This is very useful. I'm going to keep playing with this and let you know if I have any more feedback. The only thing I can think of is still to have subtitle text, but I'll see if I really end up needing it :)

What do you mean, the subtitle text?

Sorry, not subtitlle, Placeholder Subject from the script filter:

Screenshot%202014-09-09%2015.20.07.png?d

I'm writing a lot of workflows that are used by other people and so having *some* instructions for them is always helpful. The results of the script filter should be enough of a clue, but not always :)

Edited by Ryan M

I'm writing a lot of workflows that are used by other people and so having *some* instructions for them is always helpful. The results of the script filter should be enough of a clue, but not always :)

Ah yeah, there are some odd behavioural things around this still too... I'll look at this now and see what I can do, cheers :)

Could you update to the 2.5 b293 pre-release and try again, the behaviour in this area should now be fixed!

Great call on the icon. I'm terrible about adding special icons for each part of the workflow.

I think we might be talking about two things. The subtitle text for each of the items in the script filter have always appeared fine. What doesn't appear (also in your last screenshot) is the placeholder  subtext for the script filter itself. 

I have a workflow that takes a file action → script filter via an external trigger

Screenshot%202014-09-10%2009.50.53.png?d

That script filter looks like this

Screenshot%202014-09-10%2009.51.16.png?d

When I run the trigger, I see all of the entries along with their title and subtitle text, but the placeholder subtext doesn't.

Screenshot%202014-09-10%2009.54.23.png?d

After a little more testing, it looks like if I add a keyword to the script filter and begin to type the keyword, the placeholder subtext appears up until the point where you enter a keyword

Screenshot%202014-09-10%2009.57.09.png?d

Maybe I was requesting something that never really existed in the first place. I was just hoping to have some sort of placeholder text just above the listed entries to tell the user what they're looking at or what to do with it.

Great call on the icon. I'm terrible about adding special icons for each part of the workflow.

When I run the trigger, I see all of the entries along with their title and subtitle text, but the placeholder subtext doesn't.

It looks like it's working as expected in this case... the placeholder is there to show what's happening in Alfred's default results.

When directly triggering a script filter, the results have subtly different behaviour depending on the argument type. With a 'required' argument, the placeholder is shown until an argument is typed. With Optional or None, your script is run immediately (same as default results) which naturally allows you to select a generated result when the argument is empty.

It looks like it's working as expected in this case... the placeholder is there to show what's happening in Alfred's default results.

When directly triggering a script filter, the results have subtly different behaviour depending on the argument type. With a 'required' argument, the placeholder is shown until an argument is typed. With Optional or None, your script is run immediately (same as default results) which naturally allows you to select a generated result when the argument is empty.

ahhhh okay. perfect. Thanks for clarifying. Thanks again for all your help on this. External triggers have been amazing. Once I finish polishing up my Dropbox workflow, I'll be sure to post it on the forum. It makes a lot of good use of external triggers + script filters :)

ahhhh okay. perfect. Thanks for clarifying. Thanks again for all your help on this. External triggers have been amazing. Once I finish polishing up my Dropbox workflow, I'll be sure to post it on the forum. It makes a lot of good use of external triggers + script filters :)

Excellent, thanks for your help and feedback on this :)