Getting workflows to work in Remote - help required

Hi there,

I spent some time attempting to get my workflows to work in Remote without any success.

Maybe it is me but I am finding the instructions confusing.

If anyone would care to explain how to do this for simple people like me, I would be grateful.

Regards
Howard

Hi there,

I spent some time attempting to get my workflows to work in Remote without any success.

Maybe it is me but I am finding the instructions confusing.

If anyone would care to explain how to do this for simple people like me, I would be grateful.

Regards
Howard

Hi Howard,

You need to add a new Remote Trigger to your workflow. Once added, you'll be able to add this item to a remote page in Alfred's Remote prefs.

http://support.alfredapp.com/workflows:config:triggers-remote

We will be doing some video tutorials in the coming weeks which will take you through exactly this :)

Cheers,

Andrew

I'm another one that just can't figure out how to create a Workflow page. The problem is adding Remote triggers to existing Workflows. Every time I try to add a Remote trigger it won't save. I've tried adding a required image, toggling on and off the availability dialog box. To no avail. As a result, the workflow doesn't appear as available in the Workflow flyout menu. So I cannot build a Workflow page. It's a bit frustrating. I was hoping there would be a more thorough video walkthrough of the Remote app's setup.

I'm another one that just can't figure out how to create a Workflow page. The problem is adding Remote triggers to existing Workflows. Every time I try to add a Remote trigger it won't save. I've tried adding a required image, toggling on and off the availability dialog box. To no avail. As a result, the workflow doesn't appear as available in the Workflow flyout menu. So I cannot build a Workflow page. It's a bit frustrating. I was hoping there would be a more thorough video walkthrough of the Remote app's setup.

When you say that it won't save, do you mean the save button is greyed out?

Here are the steps you need...

1. When editing your workflow, add a [+] > Trigger > Remote object to your workflow

2. Configure this new trigger (the slide down sheet), setting the identifier to a string e.g. 'mytrigger'

3. Set the name for the trigger in the purple box to 'My Trigger' and drag in an icon.

You should now see this:

remote%20workflow%201.png

The trigger is now available as a button in the remote page preferences:

remote%20workflow%202.png

remote%20workflow%203.png

Now all that's left to do is to go back to your workflow and connect the output of the remote trigger to any part of your workflow such as an action object...

remote%20workflow%204.png

We will be creating videos to help you through the entire process within the next few weeks :)

Hope this helps!

Andrew

I got it now. I didn't think "Required" was a name field. I thought the "Identifier" was the name and "Required" was a label alerting me to the need of an image for my remote trigger. From your screenshots, I realize that "Required" is a name field that is, ahem, required. Now Save is no longer greyed out. I was able to add the remote trigger and add the workflow to a remote page! Thanks!

I got it now. I didn't think "Required" was a name field. I thought the "Identifier" was the name and "Required" was a label alerting me to the need of an image for my remote trigger. From your screenshots, I realize that "Required" is a name field that is, ahem, required. Now Save is no longer greyed out. I was able to add the remote trigger and add the workflow to a remote page! Thanks!

Great, thanks for the update :)

Hi Andrew, 

This has beaten me and is unnecessarily complex. I haven't the time to fiddle around with the workflow I have created - I just want them to work in Remote.

I respectively suggest that you revisit this and make it easy to use.

Also, you could have prepared the videos for release at same time as the App.

Leave it with you for now.

Regards
Howard

Hi Andrew, 

This has beaten me and is unnecessarily complex. I haven't the time to fiddle around with the workflow I have created - I just want them to work in Remote.

I respectively suggest that you revisit this and make it easy to use.

Also, you could have prepared the videos for release at same time as the App.

Leave it with you for now.

Regards
Howard

The process to convert a current workflow into an item accessible via Remote wasn't designed to be a complex action. All that is required is to add an additional item to the workflow (the same process used to create workflows) to add an Remote Trigger. If you missed it above, Andrew outlined the step necessary for doing this 3-4 posts prior to this one.

Hi David, 

I still can't crack this and I never had an issue with Alfred before. I am fairly good with IT but this has beaten me.

I am just going to wait for some workflows to be made available that work with Remote.

Regards
Howard

In my experience this morning, Andrew's write up here works.

However, if I try to use the "Add Workflow" at the bottom of the Remote, it does not work.

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-01-29%2Bat%2B8.21.2

But adding the page, and right clicking to drop the Workflow there worked a charm.

Excited to update all of my workflows.

@Andrew, if there's a possibility in Remote 1.1 to not have the screen time out (see how Actions app handles this), that'd be awesome. Having to unlock the iPad when it's plugged in and next to me would slow me down in 99% of cases.

@Andrew, if there's a possibility in Remote 1.1 to not have the screen time out (see how Actions app handles this), that'd be awesome. Having to unlock the iPad when it's plugged in and next to me would slow me down in 99% of cases.

Hey mikejandreau, There is a setting for this. It's in the Settings app > Alfred Remote > Prevent device from sleeping.