Alfred change-hotkey window unresponsive

Hi,

I saw that someone else had queried about this in mid-June and I have the same issue; since this is I think since the latest OS-X 10.10.4 upgrade, I'm wondering if there may be a connection. 

Basically, the window to change the hotkey in preferences is unresponsive. I wanted to change from opt-space to command-space as I'm phasing out Quicksilver in favor of Alfred. But the problem is NOT the specific hotkey I'm trying to use, because NOTHING works when I click into the change-hotkey window. It highlights when I click on it but there is nothing I can enter that works.

I don't know if there is any connection with the latest OS-X (which is not giving any other problems) but just noting that the other writer submitted this just within the past few weeks... might be worth checking.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

G

Hi,

I saw that someone else had queried about this in mid-June and I have the same issue; since this is I think since the latest OS-X 10.10.4 upgrade, I'm wondering if there may be a connection. 

Basically, the window to change the hotkey in preferences is unresponsive. I wanted to change from opt-space to command-space as I'm phasing out Quicksilver in favor of Alfred. But the problem is NOT the specific hotkey I'm trying to use, because NOTHING works when I click into the change-hotkey window. It highlights when I click on it but there is nothing I can enter that works.

I don't know if there is any connection with the latest OS-X (which is not giving any other problems) but just noting that the other writer submitted this just within the past few weeks... might be worth checking.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

G

There shouldn't be an issue for the hotkey field... cmd+space can sometimes be an issue though...

http://support.alfredapp.com/kb:cmd-space

Try a really obscure hotkey in there such as holding down ctrl+alt+cmd and pressing a

Cheers,

Andrew

[moving to help sub-forum]

Hi,

Well, not really. I never use Quicksilver anymore and so had wanted to use the hotkey that had been devoted to that -- the command-space keys. Even after changing the Quicksilver hotkeys to something else, it still won't take that one in Alfred.

The original problem, though, was that when trying to change the hotkey to that, Alfred's little window for making the change does not respond like most such windows by, say, giving any cue that anything is happening when you try to type in a changed hotkey. It kind of just sits there. I think I'd even tried several keys. Finally, that suggestion of doing a bunch of keys (control-opt-com- and some letter) did seem to work. But so I just went back to what I'd been using, opt-space, since it's kind of easier than all that and it's already sort of in my muscle memory. But it's not the best keys for the job -- have to actually look at the keys to hit option, while of course command is right there next to space bar. I don't see why, if I take that key combination away from Quicksilver, I can't seem to reassign it. 

I have learned to live with second best, is sort of my feeling.. these things can turn into more work than they're worth to resolve perfectly. Still...

Thanks for checking and for your suggestions.  G

does not respond like most such windows by, say, giving any cue that anything is happening when you try to type in a changed hotkey. It kind of just sits there. 

This is because if the hotkey is already in use by OS X, the key combo is not even fed to Alfred's hotkey field. OS X intercepts the hotkey and passes it to the app which has it registered. Alfred doesn't even know you are trying to type a hotkey because of this, so cannot give you any feedback.

The cmd+space issue is almost always addressed by telling Spotlight / Language switcher not to use this combo [in the link provided above]. Once cmd+space is freed up, then OS X will feed this combo into Alfred's preferences so that it can be used as the hotkey.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. Noodling around on this and find that in the Keyboard prefs/Shortcuts, command-space is associated with "Select the previous input source" which, I have no idea what that is. (So not even Quicksilver on the Mac that I haven't messed with... yet it opens Quicksilver. Unchecking that option does free it up and Alfred can take it now. Excellent. Thanks!

Greg

Thanks, Andrew. Noodling around on this and find that in the Keyboard prefs/Shortcuts, command-space is associated with "Select the previous input source" which, I have no idea what that is. (So not even Quicksilver on the Mac that I haven't messed with... yet it opens Quicksilver. Unchecking that option does free it up and Alfred can take it now. Excellent. Thanks!

Greg

Hey Greg,

The link in my first response covers exactly this, the input sources using cmd+space! ;)

Glad it's working now!

Cheers,

Andrew